Thursday, January 14, 2010

In-class Task 1

1. Please introduce yourself.
My name is Firdaus Putra Bin Ariffin. 
I am a single child and my mother is a single parent.
I was born on 8th of July 1987 in Hospital Besar Kuantan, Pahang.
I used to live in Kuala Lumpur and Perak before me and my mother went back to her hometown and settled down when I was only three years old.
Since I was 5 years old, I keep changing kindergartens and schools(maybe 6 kindergartens,3 primary schools and 5 secondary schools).
I guess I had issues in getting myself comfortable with the environment.
Life was not so easy for me, but it had taught me a lot about life.
To me, there is no greater thing than to make my mother feel proud about me. ;)

2. How would you rate yourself in terms of your computer skills and why? (e.g. expert, novice, savvy, geek, illiterate etc)

In terms of computer skills, I'd rate myself as savvy.
It is indeed a hard decision to rate myself as I had never undergone proper training, specifically in improving my computer skills.
I was exposed to the use of computer and Internet when I was 11 years old.
My cousin introduced me to the world of Internet and I made full use of it.
I made new friends, exchanged emails and went on all the sites for new information.
However, I only had my first PC when I was 15 years old.
Until then, my interest towards gadgets had begun. :)

3. What computer software and hardware knowledge do you have?

Computer hardwares can be quite alien to me as I do not have high interest in them.
However, if there should be any problems with my friends and families' PC, I'd always try my best to deal with all the problems, despite not knowing much about them.
On the other hand, computer softwares catch my interest the most.
I'd spend hours or perhaps, days without leaving my PC just for the sake of learning certain softwares.
To date, I am fully capable of using the Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Dreamweaver.
Coming soon, I'll have myself occupied with the all tutorials for Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Flash and the other softwares that can help develop myself in the future.
I really wish that I can have all the time to enable me to master everything! ;)


4. Have you experienced learning via the computer (online, etc)?
I used to do Diploma in Computer Science in Kolej Poly-tech MARA after my SPM.
But it was only for 5 months.
Back then, we have been taught via computers where most of the subjects are focusing on computers too.
Other than that, I have also been through all the online tutorials to develop my software skills.
However, I'd be very much delighted to experience learning via the computer, specifically, via online method for this subject.


5. Did you try to incorporate technology in some of your lessons during your practicum? Was  it a success or a failure? If you did not what was/were the reason(s)?
I have not gone for my practicum session yet, but I have incorporated technology in some of my lessons during my Microteaching.
It was a success as most of my classmates were really excited to see the videos, the applications and all the graphics.
I am pretty sure that if I were to incorporate technology in classroom during practicum, the lessons would be much more interesting for the young students.


6. What is your opinion on the use of computer/technology in language teaching?
In my humble opinion, I strongly believe that this subject should have been taught before we go for our practicum session.
It would have given new, fresh ideas for the students in making their lessons more interesting.
Although getting the access to computer is not easy, but teachers can still bring the students to the computer laboratory.
If students are not being exposed to all these technologies, it is going to be very difficult for them to survive in the real world where obtaining computer skills is a compulsory requirement in almost any fields.

7. What are your expectations from this course?

I am very delightful to be taking this subject this semester as I love learning about computers so much.
Be it for educational purposes or for personal purposes.
I have already planned that after I am done with my Bachelor Degree, I want to proceed to Master Degree, but in courses that are related to computers.
Therefore, I put a lot of expectations from this course.
I wish that I can have all the basic knowledge before I can proceed to the next level.
Insyaallah. ;)

2 comments:

  1. You can do an M Ed or MA in Educational Technology, Instructional Technology or Multimedia in Education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Dr Izaham, I will surely see you for more information.Thank you Sir! ;)

    ReplyDelete